Monday, November 16, 2009

Blue Jay Way


Winter is about to stride into Upstate New York.

The last few nights when I've taken my walk around the circle I could feel it coming. It's been warm, but there is something unsettling in the skies - a certain tell-tale grayness like an old man's woolen suit coat.

The warmth is a ruse. It keeps me from seriously searching for my gloves and boots. But soon one morning I will awake to three feet of snow, shocked, dismayed and totally unprepared. The Old Man will have tricked me again.

My wife is a bird-lover, Blue Jays being one of her favorites, so I drew this bookplate for her to put into all those gardening and cookbooks.

Blue Jays seem to get along well with Old Man Winter. They flit about the snowy trees in a dazzling display of royal blue tones. Observing them is one of the many small things, that when added up, make winter tolerable for me.

Of course finding those boots would help the situation, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment