Saturday, January 2, 2010

Harpo


Completing my Marx Brothers series (with apologies to Zeppo and Gummo) is this picture of Harpo.

I find the dichotomy of Harpo's stage character to be fascinating.

On one hand, he was a puckish tramp creating havoc at every turn. On the other, he was a captivatingly brilliant harpist whose playing spoke more of angels than of clowns.

In one of the movies (I forget which) Harpo sits down to play, and just before he begins he looks heavenward for a moment, his usually animated face peaceful and radiant. This always breaks me up inside. I don't know if this was meant as a tribute to God, parents or to music itself, but it seems to me a beautiful gesture of gratefulness.

A grateful clown. Not a bad role at all.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete